Aerin is a new make-up collection I think you might like. Especially if you’re the kind of woman who doesn’t particularly like or wear make-up. Designed by its namesake, who is also Estée Lauder’s granddaughter (it runs in the blood), Aerin pivots around themes of simplicity and efficiency with a healthy dose of low-key luxury thrown in. This translates to specially designed seasonal make-up palettes containing subtle eye and cheek colours. All you need extra is mascara and tinted lip balm or lipstick. Nothing new in this idea save that there is nothing gimmicky about these palettes. Their colours are so wearable and flattering you will want to wear them.
In this photo (colours not true, I played a little with photoshop) there is an autumn palette and lipstick, which have seen my face through the odd weekend away (plus Mac Pro lengthening mascara, available in the Mac stores not on usual website). The other palette, which looks more like a rather nice wallet is from her spring collection. It’s inspired by the muted shades of evening, hence its name A Garden At Dusk (£45, Garden Colour collection launches Feb, try John Lewis, Harrods or Selfridges). A lovely present for as I’ve said, the woman who likes subtle make-up. Aerin points in my opinion to a new way in beauty – in line with a simpler sartorial code that’s tickling its way into our collective taste as a reaction to both bling and this austerity. It’s gentle, elegant and quiet. And I think many of us are ready for it.
5 more great pared down make-up best buys:
1. Nails: Bobbi Brown Roza Nail Polish (heather nude, available March, but limited edition so quick!)
2. Lashes: Clinique Lash Power Mascara Dark Chocolate (my mother loves this because it’s so subtle, far cry from OTT volume mascara)
3. Lips: Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy (one of the ones all the make-up artists love)
4. Skin: L’Oréal Paris Nude Magique BB Cream (great reports on this, especially for over 50s)
5. Cheeks: Liz Earle Healthy Glow Cream Blush in Nude (a little flush on cheeks adds ‘life’ to a pared down make-up)